1. How did Triple 7 Gear come to fruition? What was the motivation behind starting the company?
It was definitely the overwhelmingly positive response to my first Kickstarter campaign, that event provided me with more than enough motivation to start a company and the confidence to create and produce more gear.
2. What kind of products do you currently offer? Are these all you own products or do you sell other people’s items as well?
So far we have focused on EDC systems, small pouches designed to organize items that would normally be loose in your pocket or pack. This takes up all of our available time currently so no immediate plans to distribute other brands.
3. What’s one thing you wish someone would have told you before you started your small business?
Honestly, I am glad to have had ZERO input prior to starting my own business, if any of my buddies had warned me that I would be working 24/7 I my not have taken the plunge.
4. What’s one piece of advice you’d give anyone looking to turn their own creative ideas into reality?
Stay after it, the process of designing, producing and distributing your own gear is a very arduous experience and you have to keep your head in the game.
Talk to me about the CORE Nano Wallet that’s crushing it on Kickstarter right now …
5. How many different design iterations did you go through before you settled on the final one?
With the CORE Nano there we several, but we really never strayed from the original design. The changes made were simply intended to ruggedize the product, we wanted to make sure it could handle some serious abuse.
6. Wallets are a tough market. What makes the CORE Nano different from what is already out there?
One word answer: Everything, the CORE Nano wallet is compact, rugged, lightweight and has the capacity to hold small EDC gear items. Combine that with its elastic retention system and you have something that is truly new to the market.
7. How important was it to have these made here in the US versus overseas?
Absolutely imperative, there was no way I was going to have anyone but my friends and neighbors profit from my designs. I do understand that in some situations overseas production is required because the best makers are foreign, but this is nylon and all the best makers are here in the USA!
8. The wallet has blown away your original Kickstarter goal. Do you have any other products in the works?
Most people use my pouches in conjunction with their current favorite pack, emphasis on current. Our next endeavor will be to sharpen the edges of the common Urban EDC pack and integrate the concept of modular systems pouches into the platform.
9. When you’re not working, what’s your favorite way to escape the daily grind?
Lately, it is backpacking and single track enduro riding here in Southern California. Also, I like to spend as much time as possible at the range!
10. Let’s see your EDC!
You got it! Here is a shot of today’s EDC: GEN 3 Glock 19, Traser P6600, Spyderco Slysz, Nitecore P10, and the CORE Nano Wallet in Woodland.